Pages

Monday, 11 May 2015

Darts Farm - Steak Pasty

About

This pasty comes from the excellent Darts Farm near Exeter, Devon. Just a short drive from the M5, most of the goods sold in the farm's shop are either produced on the farm or are from local suppliers. Despite the amazing selection of meat and vegetables available in the shop, the pasties on sale are actually made by Chunks of Devon and then cooked on site. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. There are a range of pasties on sale but as all pasties that don't follow the traditional ingredients list are evil I selected the Steak Pasty.

Price

£2.59

The Presentation

A side-crimped pasty served cold with no hot option. It came in a white paper bag which is a classic look and the least you'd expect from a good pasty seller.



First Impressions

Looks good with a nice golden pastry and it smells amazing. If this pasty was a woman she wouldn't go out with me.

First Bites

Though tasty, it takes quite a few bites of pastry before you get to any filling. It's a bit like a stodgy foreplay but will it pay off? You can never tell with pastry foreplay.



Half Way

The filling is really well seasoned and has a good balance of meat and veg. The meat itself tastes top quality. The pastry foreplay paid off. My jaw hurts but I would do it all over again. Alright, I'll stop now.



Final Crumbs

The pastry is very tasty but I think I would have preferred a bigger knot to finish off. Tell me in the comments section whether you're a 'knot first' or 'knot last' pasty eater.

Overall Impressions

This was a really nice tasting pasty. However, it was disappointing to learn that Darts Farm had bought it from a supplier rather than made it from their own produce. It was well seasoned and the pastry was golden and flakey without filling my beard with crumbs. My only real complaint apart from its origins is that it was a little on the small side and a little thick around the edges meaning I had to eat a lot before I got to the sumptuous filling. Oh stop it.

Final Score

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment